In the past few years, the popularity of virtual career fairs has been on the rise, mainly because of their convenient nature, accessibility, and cost-effectiveness. The COVID-19 pandemic further accelerated the adoption of virtual career fairs as universities sought alternative ways to connect students with potential employers. As a result, many universities are now contemplating the launch of their own virtual career fair platforms. In this blog post, we will present a comprehensive guide that offers detailed insights on how universities can successfully establish their virtual career fair platforms.
Define your objectives
Prior to the launch of your virtual job and career fair platform, it is crucial to establish your objectives. Take the time to consider what you aim to accomplish through this platform. Some typical objectives may include:
- Facilitating connections between students and potential employers.
- Creating opportunities for networking and mentorship.
- Offering students access to valuable career development resources.
- Strengthening the reputation and brand of the university.
Once you have clearly defined your objectives, you can proceed to identify the necessary features and functionalities that your virtual career fair platform should possess.
Pick the Right Virtual Career Fair Platform
Choosing the right provider for your virtual career fair platform is a crucial step. The market offers a variety of providers, each with its own set of features and pricing plans. It is important to conduct thorough research and select a provider that aligns with your specific requirements. Consider the following factors when choosing a provider:
- Features: Look for a platform that offers the necessary features to achieve your objectives. Evaluate features such as video conferencing, chat functionality, virtual booths, and scheduling tools.
- Customization: Can the platform be customized to reflect your university’s branding and style? Ensure that the provider allows for adequate customization options.
- Pricing: Take into account the pricing plans offered by different providers and determine whether they fit within your budget. Compare the costs and benefits to make an informed decision.
- Support: Assess the level of technical support provided by the platform provider. It is essential to have reliable support available before, during, and after the event.
ibentos serves as an example of a virtual career fair platform provider, but it is important to explore various options and select the provider that best suits your specific needs and preferences.
Plan the event
Once you have chosen a virtual career fair platform provider, it’s time to start planning the event. Take into account the following considerations during the planning phase:
- Date and time: Choose a date and time that accommodates both students and employers. Opt for a schedule that doesn’t clash with students’ regular class hours, enabling them to participate without conflicting with their academic commitments.
- Promotion: Promote the event to both students and employers. Utilize various communication channels such as social media, email, and other relevant platforms to effectively reach your target audience.
- Employer registration: Allow employers to register for the event and provide them with guidelines on setting up their virtual booths. Ensure they understand the process and have the necessary information to participate successfully.
- Student registration: Require students to register for the event in order to access the platform. Collect data on students’ interests and majors, which can help employers identify potential candidates more effectively.
- Prepare resources: Provide resources for both students and employers to prepare them for the event. These resources can include tips on resume writing, interview preparation guides, and networking strategies to maximize their participation and success during the virtual career fair.
By considering these aspects during the planning phase, you can ensure a well-organized and successful virtual career fair event.
Test the platform
Prior to the event, it is crucial to conduct thorough testing of the virtual career fair platform to ensure its proper functionality. Arrange a trial run involving a small group of students and employers to identify any potential technical issues that may arise and promptly address them before the actual event takes place.
Host the event
On the day of the event, ensure that everything runs smoothly. Monitor the platform to ensure that all virtual booths are functioning correctly and that students and employers can communicate without any issues. Provide technical support to users who experience difficulties accessing or using the platform.
Gather feedback and evaluate the success
After the event, gather feedback from students and employers to identify areas for improvement. Some questions to ask include:
- Was the platform easy to use?
- Did students find the event helpful in connecting them with potential employers?
- Did employers find the event useful in identifying potential candidates?
- What improvements could be made to the platform for future events?
Use this feedback to evaluate the success of the event and make improvements for future virtual career fairs.
Continue to improve and iterate
Virtual career fairs are not a one-time event but an on-going process. Continuously improve and iterate on the platform to ensure that it meets the changing needs of students and employers.
Some ways to improve and iterate on the platform include:
- Incorporate new features: Monitor the virtual career fair platform market and incorporate new features that can enhance the user experience, such as virtual reality or AI-powered matchmaking.
- Analyze data: Use data analytics to identify trends and patterns in student and employer behaviour to inform improvements to the platform.
- Seek feedback: Continuously seek feedback from students and employers on their experience with the platform and use it to improve future events.
- Partner with other universities: Consider partnering with other universities to host joint virtual career fairs to expand the pool of potential employers and increase the diversity of opportunities for students.
Launching a virtual career fair platform for universities can be a significant undertaking, but it can also provide numerous benefits to students, employers, and the university itself. By following these steps, you can successfully launch a virtual career fair platform and continue to improve and iterate on it over time.
Managing all of these tasks on your own can be incredibly burdensome and time-consuming. What you require is a comprehensive solution that caters to all your event requirements. This is precisely where ibentos steps in. By utilizing its ground breaking technology for virtual events, ibentos offers a convenient and efficient way to handle every aspect of your event. This includes streamlined registration and event hosting through a single link, dynamic and detailed landing pages, immersive 3D virtual event environments, integration of payment gateways and customer relationship management (CRM) systems, comprehensive event reports and insights, and, most importantly, round-the-clock technical support across all time zones worldwide. By selecting ibentos as your partner, you can ensure the successful hosting of an ideal virtual or hybrid event that not only provides a significant boost but also delivers fast returns on investment (ROIs).